Can I Repair My Roof After a Leak?
Repairing a roof after a leak is not only possible but also recommended. No matter if its summer or winter, fixing the problem immediately will save you a ton in extra costs down the line. Leaving the issue for another time, however, will result in further damage, not only to your roof, but also to your attic, ceiling, and living area. It is particularly true during the winter season, when people frequently put off the repair for several months.
An average roof life span is of about anywhere in between 15 to 20 years. Of course, this can be increased with proper maintenance, but can also decrease significantly because of several factors. Roof leaks are usually the first sign of trouble. These can occur after a storm, but there are other reasons too.
Common Reasons for Roof Leaks
- Poor Installation – Among the most common reasons for roof leaks are improper installations. It is for this reason why you need to look for a contractor in your area that has plenty of experience under its belt.
- Damaged Shingles – Be it hail, wind, or fluctuating temperatures, roof shingles can become damaged in a way that you may not even recognize. When this happens, rain or snowmelt can seep under the shingles, creating a roof leak. At 1-800-HANSONS, we only use rubber composite shingles, as opposed to the poor-quality asphalt shingles, as these resist much better in all weather conditions.
- Damaged Flashings – Flashing refers to the thin pieces of impervious material that’s applied around the edges and joints to prevent water seepage into the overall structure. It should be appropriately sealed otherwise water will leak.
- Clogged Gutters – Leaves and other debris in your gutters will keep the water at the roofline. The wood will begin to rot over time and water will eventually get under the shingles along the edge.
- Improper Attic Ventilation – An attic needs to have proper ventilation; otherwise the humidity inside can cause leaks. When this happens, your wood, insulation, and ceiling drywall can become soaked with moisture, damaging and decreasing their efficiency.
What You Need to Know About Roof Leak Repairs
Roof leak repairs may seem like something that anyone can do, but this doesn’t mean that everyone has the necessary expertise to do them correctly. It is for this reason why we recommend that you choose a licensed contractor that has the experience to work on your roof type.
With that said, you should also look for the type of warranty that the contractor provides you. With many contractors, the warranty only extends to the shingles and the other materials used. It means that you’ll only be covered if the materials are defective, not because of a poor installation. 1-800-HANSONS covers materials and installation with a lifetime guarantee.
Another factor that you need to know about roof leaks is that they may not be located precisely where the water damage is spotted. It means that, for instance, you notice a ceiling stain, the actual leak may not be right above it. Water will follow a path of least resistance and may be located in a completely different area than the damage.
In any case, if you do notice a leak or any other type of roof damage, you should take care of it as soon as possible. In winter, you may even get a sweet deal from the contractor, given that it’s low season for them. For any roofing, window, siding, or gutter work, 1-800-HANSONS is at your service. Contact us today for a FREE estimate!
Get a Free Estimate Today
Up to 70% off window, roofing & siding installation. No interest and no payments for 1 full year.