Best Time to Buy Replacement Windows for New Homeowners
If you are a new homeowner, you may be feeling excitement and fear at the same time. On the one hand, you are probably proud that you finally have a space that you own. On the other hand, you are thinking about the responsibilities of homeownership. Depending on the kind of house that you bought, it may be a few years before you need to do any maintenance at all. However, if you purchased an older home or a fixer-upper, you may already be planning some home improvement.
You may not be thinking about replacing windows right away, mainly because the ones you have aren’t yet old or broken. However, even newer homes don’t necessarily have quality windows. Builders often use “construction-grade” windows of lower quality. It may shock you to discover that the highest rate of window failure happens in homes that are less than 20 years old.
Having energy-efficient windows will lower your heating and air-conditioning bills significantly. But before you change all the windows in your home, remember that not all replacement windows are created equal. Low-quality windows can be a potential threat to your security and allow the outside temperature to affect the temperature in your house.
How to Know When You Should Buy New Replacement Windows
When you inspect the new house, make sure that the windows shut and lock properly. For example, check if you can feel the heat or cold coming through the windows. Here are some other things to look out for when inspecting your home:
- If the caulking is dry or crumbling, it needs replacing.
- If the paint is peeling, you may want to repaint the windows.
- If you are not able to open or close the windows, it may be due to swelling of the wood. This can even happen with vinyl and aluminum windows if the sash or frame was not reinforced.
How to Choose the Right Replacement Windows
Many homeowners are driven by price, but that shouldn’t be the primary consideration since windows are usually a one-time investment. You should choose the best products and installation. Most companies offer payment plans so that you can pay for high-quality replacement windows over a period of time through affordable monthly payments. Ultimately, new windows will improve your home’s appeal and increase its value. They may even help you use less energy and, in turn, save money.
How to Purchase Replacement Windows
Replacing windows requires specialized knowledge and tools, so you better hire a professional. Here’s what you need to consider when choosing a window installation company:
- Ask for references, and check them.
- Don’t use a company without a portfolio.
- A good company will have a professional website and trained employees to help you each step of the way.
- Ask the company what kind of warranty they offer.
- Ensure the windows are built to fit the window opening in your house. Ask the window installers about the materials and how the windows are made. Allow the company representative to explain how the window will fit into its opening.
1-800-HANSONS will be at your service with any window replacement work that you may need. We provide single or double hung, casement, slider, bay, bow, picture, or garden windows in a variety of shapes, sizes, colors, glass, vents, etc. Contact us today for a free estimate.