How Are Windows Made?
While looking through a perfectly smooth and clear glass window, have you ever wondered how it was made? Many people don’t realize that the beautiful windows they have in their homes, cars, and other buildings went through an amazing process to reach the shape that they are in now.
First, we need to have a look at the process of making glass, and then move on to how the glass becomes the beautiful windows you see every day.
How Glass Is Made
Glass windows are produced in a factory through an intense process where temperatures reach up to 1500 degrees Celsius. Here’s the process of how this happens:
- First, the materials are mixed. These include soda, sand, ash, limestone, dolomite, and salt cake.
- These materials are combined with surplus glass and heated to 1500 degrees Celsius in a furnace, which can handle more than 1200 tons of glass.
- After that, the glass melts to a temperature of 1200 degrees Celsius.
- Then the glass is put into a bath of molten tin, which is perfect for glass-making because it combines well with the glass.
- The glass then floats to the surface of the tin and transforms into a sheet. The temperature is lowered, and the layer is climbed onto rollers.
- The glass is then cooled and slowly reheated again to boost strength and prevent breaking. Or it can be chilled and reheated with quick blasts of cold air.
- The glass can then be glazed and coated with heat-absorbing tints, insulated window glazes, or other coatings.
How Windows Are Made
Now that you’ve seen how the glass is made, it’s time to look at how it becomes the window you see in your home. Here’s what happens at a window-factory:
- First, the dimensions are entered to customize a particular window. The glass is then cut by machines to fit the determined size.
- The glass is then cleaned well with a high-pressure cleaner, and the glass panes are sealed together.
- The pieces of the frame are also cut and put together.
- After that, the glass and frame are assembled.
Keep in mind that the process of making windows is complicated and requires experienced technicians and complex machinery.
Washing Your New Windows
Now that the new windows are installed in your home, you may be worried about how to clean them. You can use a combination of water and vinegar in a spray bottle, or you can first use a gentle soap. Then rinse the window with water and use a clean cloth to wipe it in sections.
You can always contact a professional cleaning service if you have any questions. They will have the experience and the right tools to clean the window properly.
No matter how glass is made, or where you use it, it will always need to be cleaned with care. Hopefully, this knowledge will help you completely enjoy your new windows.
Are you looking for the right replacement windows? We can help. Schedule a free product demonstration today.